So, I was copying the picture of the shirt I pulled out of a magazine, (it’s actually a jumpsuit, but I love the top part) and I started with the kimono type sleeve, like in the photograph–what was I thinking?!? I already have the shoulders of a full-back and those sleeves made me look like I was about to take flight!
Luckily I had enough fabric to cut new sleeves and the second version is much improved.
I used Butterick 5284, View A and made the following changes:
- I created a covered placket by making an interfaced tube and topstitching it into place
- I used the sleeve from View A and lengthened it to make a self-cuff
- I shortened the shirt and straightened the hem and put vents at the side seams
- I added a fake pocket flap
Here’s a little tip you may or may not know for turning corners when topstitching very close to the edge:
Thread a needle with heavy thread and pull it half way through near the corner just inside your topstitching line:
Topstitch to the corner, turn and use the thread as a handle to pull as you stitch so the feed dogs can work properly and you don’t get some tiny stitches near the corner:
I shortened the pattern at little and straightened the curved hem and put little vents at the side seams. I like to wear pants with belts with this style shirt, the belt shows a little and the untucked shirt makes me look slimmer than a shirt tucked-in. (I wear a light weight tank top under the shirt and I tuck that in.)
All in all this was a satisfying project.